STRASBOURG DECLARATION ON PSYCHOTHERAPY OF 1990
In accordance with the aims of the World Health Organisation (WHO), the non-discrimination accord valid within the framework of the European Union (EU) and intended for the European Economic Area (EEA), and the principle of freedom of movement of persons and services, the undersigned agree on the following points:
- 1. Psychotherapy is an independent scientific discipline, the practice of which represents an independent and free profession.
- 2. Training in psychotherapy takes place at an advanced, qualified and scientific level.
- 3. The multiplicity of psychotherapeutic methods is assured and guaranteed.
- 4. A full psychotherapeutic training covers theory, self-experience, and practice under supervision.
- Adequate knowledge of various psychotherapeutic processes is acquired.
- 5. Access to training is through various preliminary qualifications, in particular human and social sciences.
Strasbourg, October 21st, 1990.